Sunday, May 2, 2010

DOUGHNUT CHOCOLATE CHIP PUDDING


Sigh...if you've made a large batch of doughnuts and nobody came home to eat them you'd very likely have a large batch of doughnuts sleeping in your refrigerator overnight and for the rest of the week. They are after all best eaten on the day they're made. 

I couldn't throw them away so I made doughnut pudding. I scattered on some chocolate chips and they were ready to go.

I have to say the pudding looked rather good. Better than plain ole bread pudding. The golden sheen of fried doughnuts and the buttery interior really came through which made the pudding look evenly golden, luscious and delectable.

Surprisingly, however, I much preferred plain old bread pudding. I would put it down to the fact that a doughnut dough is not quite a bread dough in the sense that plain all purpose flour was used, the kneading process was not as intense and repetitious thus resulting in a less 'bready' product which was not quite perfect for a bread pudding.


Also I would have thrown in some chunky chocolate pieces, had I had them, rather than teeny weeny chocolate chips to match the chunky quartered doughnuts in it. That would have made it much more chocolatey and satisfying. 


All in all I thought it was quite a good way to use up those doughnuts and it is something that could be made in individual bowls if you have only a couple lying around.


And yes. I bought the pink bowl from Daiso. And no. I'm not being paid to link :)



So here's the recipe ~


4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
21/2 cups whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
about 5 doughnuts, quartered
some butter to grease the pudding dish


Beat eggs and sugar until well mixed but not too frothy. Add vanilla extract. Add the milk and mix again until well mixed. Keep aside.


Cut up the doughnuts. Arrange in buttered bowl and pour the custard mixture over and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes to let the doughnuts soak up the custard.


Bake in 170 C for one hour, more or less or until the custard is firm. Serve.




This recipe has been submitted to Yeast Spotting :)



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails