Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tuna and Potato Croquettes


Some of you might remember the 5 potatoes I boiled and abandoned one morning not very long ago. Exactly five posts ago if you care to know. Well it did not go to waste because after leaving them to hibernate in the fridge for two days I made them into croquettes with tuna, chopped coriander, mayo and lemon juice. We had it for dinner with the Thai green curry I whipped up just now.

The children cleaned the platter and I'm a satisfied mother, cook and blogger. Husband doesn't fancy this kind of play food. He dug into the Thai green curry though.

5 medium or 3 large potatoes (about 500 gm)
185 gm can of flaked tuna in oil or water
3 - 4 Tablespn of mayonnaise
1 tsp cumin powder
1-2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped coriander stalks and leaves
salt to taste

About 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
About 1 cup of cornflour to coat

Boil potatoes in skin. Leave to cool completely. Peel. Mash.
Add drained tuna, cumin, chopped coriander, mayonnaise, pepper, lemon juice and salt. Mix well until well combined into one large mound.

Shape into a three-sided cylinder using two tablespoons by turning and shifting from one tablespoon to the other. There's a name for this but I can't even recall what letter the word begins with.

Anyway the picture will help I hope. Lay them on a platter before the coating step.



Put the cornflour, eggs and breadcrumbs in three separate platters. Coat the croquettes in first flour, then egg and lastly breadcrumbs and put aside on a baking tray. This is a little messy and I had to wash my hands in between every three croquettes. I made 18 pieces in all.

Heat up 1 1/2 cups of cooking oil in a small wok or medium sized frying pan and fry the croquettes until a golden brown on each side. It doesn't take long at all as there is nothing raw inside. Drain on kitchen paper to rid it of excess oil.

Serve.

TIP : By dipping it first in cornflour, eggs, then breadcrumbs, a thin crispy skin will form giving the croquettes a little more crunch.

TIP : You can vary the ingredients by using 800 gm of white fish fillet instead of the tuna or minced meat or chicken. Personally I have never tried it with beef or chicken so I can't say how much you'll need. Give it a try and let me know. Vary the herbs as well.

2 comments:

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

I like croquettes! they are so delicious! I made this before, i mix with salmon!
luckily we are not neighbours! :P

Zurin said...

Yes otherwise we wl be xchanging croquettes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails